Childhood Language & Learning Disabilities Clinic
How would your life be different if you were unable to communicate with those around you? How would you cope with not being able to understand what others were saying to you? Imagine not being able to read or express your thoughts through experiencing these problems. Where would you go? Who would you call? Who would help? For over 20 years, the Alaska Scottish RiteCare Foundation has provided help for children with speech, language and learning problems.
LANGUAGE & LEARNING DISABILITIES CLINIC
The Alaska Scottish Rite Language Learning Disabilities Clinic, funded through the Alaska Scottish RiteCare Foundation, contracts with therapists in private practices to provide services for children and 100% of the money raised through their philanthropic efforts go to direct service.
The staff provide:
- Parent Training
- Consultation Services
The Childhood Language & Learning Disabilities Clinic provides services to children and young adults with language learning disabilities, or those who are at high risk of developing academic difficulties due to their speech and or language delays.
Children seen at the clinic experience difficulties in:
- Language Comprehension
- Verbal Ability
- Speech Clarity
- Language Processing
- Math Applications
The therapists qualifications include:
- Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology.
- Extensive training past the master’s degree level in the treatment of children with communication, reading and writing difficulties.
- Nationally certified by the American Speech and Hearing Association.
- Licensed to practice in the state of Alaska.
- A combined total of over 100 years of clinical experience.
- Several therapists have articles that appear in the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA) Journal.
- Mrs. McKinnis has published a program designed for treatment of children with language processing disorders called The Processing Program.